Greening Neighborhoods member Rhonda Rollins suggests a number of water saving stocking stuffers for adults. (It’s like putting $10 bills in the stockings for less than $10 investments)
- 1 gallon/minute low flow aerators for lavs. Available at ACE, Lowes, Home Depot or on line.
- Swivel kitchen 1.5 gallon/minute low flow aerator.
- Shower head low flow 1.5 gallon/minute aerators.
- Toilet bowl banks (basically bags to put in toilet tanks to displace flush water). Rhonda found one for $1.25 on energyfederation.org
- There’s a new device that costs about $8.00 that converts a standard toilet to a dual flush. Its fits over the flapper and acts as a spring to shut off the water flow early. See the attachments
- There’s an “instant off” aerator stick available at Home Depot for about $8 that shuts off faucet water the instant you finish washing your hands, wetting your tooth brush, or filling your water glass.
- There’s a shower off button that is installed between the pipe and shower head that allows you to shut off water after you wet down. You soap up, push the button to allow water to flow and rinse off.
These simple devices will allow you to save thousands of gallons of water per year and significantly reduce your water bills.
Also: Neighbors Lew and Susan Engle reported a 60% savings over November, 2008’s baseline after they installed fiberglass insulation in their attic this November. They saved $60 on the November heating bill and will pay for their investment by March 2010.
Let us know about your successes.